Saturday, February 14, 2009

Reflections on Online Learning - Self-Selected Blog Topic

I think the High Tech/High Touch section was most significant to me. Like many people, I had come into the online course expecting to be somehow separated from my fellow students; as if the monitor was somehow a wall blocking me from truly interacting with them.

Obviously, I couldn't have been more wrong. I have more information about my classmates in this class than I would have learned sitting in a classroom. The introductions and the group project have played a huge part in this difference.

Once I begin teaching online courses, I need to remember that the students coming in may have the same flawed assumption that I did, that they will not get to know their fellow students. As a result, I will have to make sure to provide them with the means to get to know other people in the class through online introductions and the discussion board.

As I said in a previous blog, I think the fact that we are getting into the "human" and educational aspects of online teaching before we start looking at the technical aspects is a huge help.

No comments:

Post a Comment